The Latest Trends in Specialty Concrete Products
For discerning clients who want something unique for an indoor or outdoor project, the specialty concrete products offered by Moon Decorative are perfect.
Decorative Concrete Trends
For all types of surfaces, decorative concrete is one of the hottest trends. This is especially true for flooring. Decorative concrete offers one-of-a-kind aesthetics for both residential or commercial projects. Here are some of the hottest trends in specialty products for decorative concrete:
- Acid Stain – An original decorative concrete solution, acid staining involves the application of a colored liquid to a concrete surface. The stain will react with the minerals in the concrete to create a unique look. If your clients want natural earth tones that look like natural stone or marble, this product is ideal.
- Stamps – Another consideration is stamped concrete. With stamps, you achieve the desired pattern or texture with imprinting or embossing. Moon Decorative offers a wide selection of rubber stamps, including stamp mats, textured skins, and rollers.
- Overlay and Resurfacing – You might suggest concrete overlays and resurfacing, which consist of an extremely thin film placed over damaged or old concrete surface to give the floor a brand-new appearance.
- Dyes – Beautiful concrete dyes are among the specialty concrete products offered by Moon Decorative. This is a popular solution since there is no wash down or neutralization. However, to ensure the color locks in, a coating system or sealer is necessary.
- Epoxies and Coatings – Designed for ultimate protection, wear resistance, and durability, epoxies and coatings are perfect for industrial environments and garage floors.
- Concrete Cut Patterns and Scorelines – Whether done dry or wet, cut patterns in concrete can provide a great design and look to break up large areas or give a tiled floor appearance.
Questions to Ask When Buying Decorative Cement Products
As you look for the right decorative cement product, be sure to ask certain questions. That way, you purchase the appropriate product according to the job. Below are some of the more important questions to consider.
What color effects do I want to achieve? – The decorative cement product will determine the aesthetics of the finished project. Therefore, it is essential that you gain as much insight into what Moon Decorative offers pertaining to water and acid-based stains and dyes. Only then will you know the exact impact of color effects.
What is the condition of the concrete? – The condition of the concrete surface plays a key role in the type of product you choose. Therefore, analyze the jobsite to determine if the concrete is old or new, stained, cracked, pitted, or damaged in some other way. Does it have an old floor covering or old seal coat that needs removal?
Is the concrete inside or outside? – Decorative cement products have different formulas based on application. For instance, a product to resurface a dealership showroom is different from what you would use for a new pool deck in the client’s backyard. Make sure you choose the right product for the application.
Is the mixing and application process difficult? – Fortunately, most dyes and stains offered by Moon Decorative are user-friendly, with some being ready-to-use. Therefore, the mixing process is extremely easy. The same is true for the application of decorative cement products. Through the company website’s Ideas and How To section, you will have no problem learning to mix and apply decorative cement.
As a contractor, you owe it to your clients to know as much possible about decorative cement and the products used with it. By getting high-quality products from Moon Decorative and asking the right questions, you will be able to provide your client an incredible finished project.
Using Concrete as a Decorative Floor Choice
If you have decided to incorporate concrete elements into a new home build or a renovation, one of the toughest decisions you will face has to do with choosing the decorative concrete products that are most appropriate for the preferred design.
Typically, homeowners view concrete installation as just another part of the construction schedule, but in reality, this is a delicate process. For that reason, it is important to work with an experienced professional who works with high-quality decorative concrete products and understands the intricacies of the materials and their application.
The challenge is that today, there is a wide range of decorative concrete products available. This means there is almost an endless number of finishes that can be created for both vertical and horizontal surfaces inside and outside of the home. For example, different products are used to texture, overlay, stamp, seal, color, acid etch, dye, and engrave concrete.
Working alongside the contractor, you will have the chance to view a vast number of options available through Moon Decorative and gain a better understanding as to how the final project will appear. With this knowledge, you might change your mind. For instance, you may have initially planned to simply seal an existing floor, but after seeing all the beautiful Sedona brand colors offered by Moon Decorative, you might decide to have the floor completely transformed and colored.
The Contractors Job
In addition to providing insight and guidance for the different decorative concrete products offered by Moon Decorative, the contractor will assess the project. With that done, the two of you can talk about realistic expectations. Once the project is selected, the work can begin.
By your contractor using only the best decorative concrete products on the market, you have complete confidence that the outcome will be exceptional. Not only will your home look gorgeous but the overall value will be enhanced.
Is Acid Stain the Right Choice for Your Project?
Several factors should be considered when deciding on the material to color a new or old concrete floor, wall, or countertop. Although a most popular choice is concrete, which can be beautifully designed for both indoor and outdoor purposes. Whether you are renovating or building a home, or opening a brand new retail location, you definitely want to consider acid stained concrete. To determine if acid stain is the right choice for your particular project, consider the following.
- Acid stain allows you to create incredible designs in a good concrete surface.
- Acid stained concrete is versatile, since it can be used for a wide range of projects inside and outside.
- You will also find that acid stain is extremely durable. When a high-quality product is used and applied appropriately, this material will provide years of flawless service. To help the stain last even longer, a protective sealant is usually added.
- Acid stain comes in a wide range of color options, including Green Lawn, English Red, Malay Tan, Walnut, and Fern. If you are having a hard time deciding on the exact color, at Moon Decorative, we sell a Sedona brand acid stain color sample kit that comes with 10 4-ounce bottles.
- If anyone in the home struggles with allergies, acid stained concrete is perfect. Unlike carpet, which attracts dirt, dust, and other allergens, concrete does not.
Although there are always some disadvantages of choosing acid stained concrete, here are some of the main considerations.
- Sometimes older concrete is not as reactive to acid stain. This is why choosing a top-of-the-line product and having the work performed by a professional is imperative.
- Although some people have successfully stained concrete on their own, this is a job best left to someone with expertise.
- Sealed concrete cannot be stained without the sealer being removed. Use a test area prior to staining the entire surface.
The Bottom Line
Acid stain is an excellent investment and can enhance both old and new concrete surfaces.
Quality Concrete Floor Supplies Provide Optimal Results
For residential, commercial, and industrial projects, every customer deserves to have a positive experience when it comes to the installation of a concrete floor. To guarantee this, only the right concrete floor supplies should be used. Otherwise, the final job will fall short of expectations and pose the risk of future problems.
The goal in using quality concrete floor supplies is to create a “wow” factor. To accomplish this, concrete can be stamped, acid stained, colored, sealed, overlaid, and more. Remember, high-quality products are a direct reflection of the caliber of image that you portray.
Products Coupled with Technology
To create a gorgeous concrete floor, one of the top choices is a decorative overlay. When the work is performed by a skilled professional and only the best concrete floor supplies are used, an array of designs can be created that look like natural slate, brick, cobblestone, wood, tile, and much more.
By combining the right concrete floor supplies with the latest technology, you can create a stunning floor that sets up and cures in very little time. As a result, there is less disruption to the customer.
For the best outcome, only the best supplies should be used throughout each step of the process. As an example, the moisture level in the concrete must be within the proper range. To check this, Moon Decorative offers three solutions: an Insta-Check PH Pencil, a Vapor Transmissions Test 3-Pak, and the RapidRH Long Reader Kit 1 and Reader 5 Humidity Tests.
Moon Decorative is the “go-to” place for ideas and information on how to properly apply different products and techniques.
Examples of Products
Below are just a few examples of concrete floor supplies offered by The Stamp Store:
- Acid Stain
- Colored Coatings and Sealers
- Concrete Additives
- Diamond Blades
- Hand Tools
- Moisture Tests
- Overlay Products
- Training Materials
5 Common Errors When Resurfacing a Countertop With Concrete
In addition to floors, driveways, garages, patios, walls, and walkways, concrete is one of the top materials for countertops. To ensure long-lasting beauty and wear, it is imperative that only the highest-quality materials are used for installation. However, there will come a time when resurfacing a countertop with concrete becomes inevitable.
Five Common Errors Made
- Precise Measurements – Precise water and polymer measurements are critical. When too much or too little liquid is added, concrete doesn’t perform optimally. It can become stiff or too wet. Excessive water can also compromise the strength and integrity of concrete leading to cracks, shrinkage and a weak surface.
- Over working the surface – To ensure the countertop surface is smooth, use even and fluid strokes. Be sure to cover an entire area with a single stroke for maximum uniformity and to reduce streaking.
- Damaged areas – Prior to resurfacing a countertop, make sure that any pits, cracks, and holes are properly sealed and or patched. Concrete resurfacing material can fill small voids and chips in a surface but large damaged areas can cause ghosting of the damage through the surface. Patch and fill damaged areas prior to installing the resurfacing product.
- Oil stains and residues – Concrete materials need to adhere and bond to the old surface. Cooking oils, fats and other greasy products can cause bond failure, be sure to clean and roughen up the surface of the old countertop to ensure the best bond possible.
- Dry and Cure times – When it is time to seal and protect the surface of the freshly resurfaced countertop, be sure to allow ample time for the cement to dry to guarantee a good finish. Moisture trapped below a sealer can cause whitening, bubbles or an imperfect surface finish. Be sure to follow manufacturers directions and always side on the precautionary when possible.
Starting with the Best
When you resurface countertops with concrete, you have a wide range of design possibilities. You can add sealant, color, textures, and more to give the countertop a personal touch. To end up with the results you want and prevent future problems, it is important to start with the highest-quality products available from moondecorative.com
What You Need to Know When Choosing Concrete Colors
If you are looking for a simple way to make your home or business stand out in the crowd, stained, polished, or painted concrete floors are the way to go. A stained concrete floor can give your floor a custom-finished look for a price you won’t believe. Choose from a variety of concrete colors and dyes from Moon Decorative for use on your indoor or outdoor surfaces.
Considerations for Choosing Concrete Colors
Stamped and stained concrete is becoming increasingly popular as a flooring option for both residential and commercial properties. Not only is it highly durable and easy to maintain, but there are so many concrete colors to choose from that you can achieve whatever aesthetic effect you are looking for. Acid stains from Moon Decorative will give your floor a dramatic look with deep color and texture while a concrete dye stain can be used to achieve a more uniform appearance. Non-reactive water-based stains can be used in a similar way to wood stains, and they come in an unlimited variety of colors. You can even use concrete stains and dyes to achieve the look of natural materials, like wood and stone.
Benefits of Concrete Colors
When it comes to flooring, you can’t go wrong with concrete. Stained concrete floors are highly energy efficient, retaining or releasing heat depending on the weather to save you money on energy costs. Colored concrete floors are highly durable – this is especially important for industrial and commercial applications – plus, they are easy to maintain. Having your concrete floor installed using high-quality products from Moon Decorative will ensure that you don’t have to worry about warping or buckling and you are guaranteed long-lasting, chip-free color. To maintain your stamped concrete floor, all you have to do is sweep and mop it as needed.
Resolving Slippery Issues Near Pools with Concrete Stamping
Swimming pools can provide hours of backyard entertainment for the entire family, but they can also present safety hazards due to the slippery nature of pool decks. It is possible to benefit from a beautiful decorative pool deck while simultaneously eliminating slip and fall hazards. Many products and techniques can be used to make decorative concrete less slippery when wet. Two of the most common methods for creating a slip-resistant surface near a pool are to apply some type of gritty product to the surface of the concrete and to texture the concrete. There are also several ways to apply additives to the surface of the concrete. One method involves mixing a gritty material into the concrete sealer prior to it being applied like Anti Slip Get-A-Grip by SS Specialties. Other methods involve using a textured overlay or applying a type of gritty additive to the concrete surface. When broadcasting special
anti slip additives such as a polymer or shark grip, onto the surface of the concrete, it is important to do this while the sealer is still tacky, however.
Decorative stamped concrete can also be an excellent solution for resolving slippery issues near in-ground swimming pools. The texture of the concrete itself can prove to be a tremendous benefit in terms of creating a nonslip surface. By using stamped concrete mats during placement featuring a specially textured pattern or design into poured concrete, it is possible to create a slip-resistant swimming pool deck that is both attractive and safe. This can prove to be particularly important in both environments where young children will be present as well as commercial pool areas, such as hotels and spas.
Whether you have an existing pool deck or you are considering building a new pool, it is important to ensure it is both safe and fun. Stamped concrete can be an effective way to do that. Moon Decorative offers Brickform, Proline, and Artcrete concrete texture tools, allowing you to choose from dozens of designs to create a concrete surface that is both safe and aesthetically pleasing.
Preventing Decorative Concrete Sealer Problems
Decorative concrete can provide endless design options, but in order to protect those designs, sealer is a must. Even so, decorative concrete sealer problems can be a common issue. In fact, problems with sealer are among the most common reasons for contractors to be called back to a jobsite. When a concrete sealer does not perform or look in the way expected, the reason is usually due to applying the sealer in non-ideal conditions, over-applying it, or a buildup of multiple coats of sealer. Here are some of the most common decorative concrete sealer problems and how they can be prevented.
Bubbles that appear in sealer usually indicate it was over-applied. It is vital for the sealer to be applied thinly to avoid supporting the presence of bubbles. When a concrete sealer is applied too thickly, there is no opportunity for displaced air to escape. Rather than applying one heavy coat of sealer, it is much better to apply two thin coats, with the first coat acting as a type of primer. Most of that first layer will actually disappear into the surface of the concrete. It is the second coat that will provide the gloss, color enhancement, and even finish required for an optimal result. While this can be more time-consuming than applying one heavy coat, the result is worth it.
Bubbling of concrete sealer can also be an issue if the sealer is applied in hot temperatures or if the concrete is located in direct sunlight. During such conditions, the sealer may develop a skin prior to the solvent evaporating, which can cause bubbles to form in the surface. The best way to prevent this type of problem from occurring is to apply the sealer during the coolest part of the day and ensuring you are following the manufacturer’s rate of recommended coverage.
Flaking or Peeling Decorative Concrete Sealer
In other instances, the concrete sealer may begin to peel, flake, or turn white, sometimes referred to as blushing. This can occur when the sealer is applied to concrete that is too fresh or wet. When this happens, it becomes impossible for the sealer to bond with the surface of the concrete. Instead, the sealer will float on a film of water trapped on the concrete. Over-application can also result in blushing. To avoid such problems, it is important to wait until the concrete is completely dry to apply the sealer while also ensuring you are following the manufacturer’s recommendations for coverage rate.
A Quick Guide to Applying an Epoxy Coating
Learning how to apply epoxy coatings properly is essential to ensuring a successful outcome. Epoxy coatings are comprised of a two-part application system along with a final sealing topcoat in many cases for a superior finish.
After removing any obstacles from the floor and protecting surrounding wall surfaces, you will want to remove any existing paint and spills that may be on the floor with sandpaper or a grinder. Next, wipe down the surface to ensure that all dust is removed. You will also want to mop the surface of the floor using an all-purpose cleaner and stiff bristle broom to get it as clean as possible. The floor will then need to be rinsed with clean water. Allow the floor to dry for a minimum of four hours.
Prior to applying the epoxy coating, make sure the area is well ventilated by opening doors and windows. You may also need to operate a fan to ensure there is ample ventilation. It is also important to wear proper protective gear, including eyewear, gloves, and a mask for high VOC epoxies.
Before applying the epoxy coating, you will need to stir each pail to make certain the solids on the bottom are blended in. Pour the hardener into the epoxy floor paint, stirring until the two are completely mixed.
Place a filter liner inside a paint tray and then fill the tray with the epoxy paint. Using a 3-inch paintbrush, brush the coating around the perimeter of the floor, using an even stroke. Fit an extension pole onto a paint roller and spread the paint over the floor, beginning at the corner of the room. Roll across the floor lengthwise, then using crosswise motions, working in small sections as you work your way toward the door. Allow the floor to dry and then apply a second coat.
If you want to add a clear coat consider a polyurethane or polyaspartic as you top coat for ultimate performance.