SS Repel Guard SB-20 is a 20% active solvent-based silane water repellent and impregnating agent for porous masonry surfaces such as concrete, block, brick, and unglazed tile. SS Repel Guard SB-20 will penetrate and chemically bond deep within the substrate to provide long lasting protection against deterioration or staining due to water conditions. SS Repel Guard SB-20 will not impair the natural breathing characteristics of treated substrates, nor will it produce a film. SS Repel Guard SB-20 will help concrete and masonry surfaces to resist common issues such as cracking, efflorescence, spalling, staining, and other damages caused by intrusion of water. It also helps protect the surface from damaging effects of water intrusion, acid rain, deicing chemicals and freeze/thaw exposure.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES
*Deeply penetrating porous surfaces, it provides superior water repellency, while allowing surface to breathe.
*Provides excellent resistance to mold, mildew, and fungus.
*Resists damage caused by deicing salt and freeze/thaw cycles.
*VOC compliant for most areas in the U.S. and Canada.
*Superior efflorescence and strong alkali resistance compared to common solvent based acrylic sealers.
SURFACE PREPARATION: Prior to surface preparation, protect people, property, automobiles, plants and any other non-masonry surfaces and objects from the material, wind drift, and splash, residue, and fumes of the material. Protecting and diverting pedestrians and automobile traffic is also recommended. Proper surface preparation is highly important. Use the proper cleaning detergent for the substrate at hand. It is recommended that SS Repel Guard SB-20 be applied on a clean, visibly dry and absorbent surface, although it may be ok to apply on a slightly damp surface as well. Please note that excessive moisture inhibits good penetration, which can reduce the life and performance of the coating. The temperatures of the air and the surface are very pertinent aspects of applying any coating and are no exception here. The minimum temperature of the air and the surface must be at least 40°F during application and for at least 8 hours after. If freezing conditions exist prior to application, it is highly recommended that the substrate be allowed to fully thaw. Should this recommendation not be followed, the product may not yield adequate protective properties. Air and surface temperatures should never exceed 80°F. MIXING: Stir well before using. Material may separate during long term storage. APPLICATION: Proper equipment should be used when applying SS Repel Guard SB-20. A brush, roller, or low pressure sprayer should be used to apply. If using a sprayer, be sure the psi is no greater than 20. Set the sprayer to achieve a good, wet stream, avoiding atomization of the product. Be sure that any container used for mixing or material handling is clean, free of any debris, and uncontaminated. Before applying material, please read the entire Technical Data Sheet and be sure to follow all the precautions listed below. Always test any substrate before overall application to ensure desired results. Please test using the following application instructions. Also, let the test area dry completely before final inspection and approval. When applying over a floor previously coated with a cure & seal, SS Repel Guard SB-20 should be sprayed and then backrolled over the surface to re-solvate the resin on the concrete, allowing penetration and sealing it off from water and harmful deicers that often cause deterioration of the concrete surface. HORIZONTAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: By roller or sprayer, apply SS Repel Guard SB-20 at a rate of 100–200 square feet per gallon depending upon surface type and porosity. Broom out puddles until surface is penetrated. Re-apply a second coat. Less material may be sufficient for a second coat. Once again, broom out any puddles until material has penetrated. This is a “wet-on-wet” application. Coated surfaces should dry to touch in approximately one hour. The coated substrate should be protected from weathering conditions for at least 8 hours after application. A neutral pH surface may need several days to achieve full water repellency. VERTICAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: For best results, apply SS Repel Guard SB-20 “wet-on-wet” at a rate of 100–200 square feet per gallon depending upon surface type and porosity, to a dry and absorbent surface. When using a sprayer, saturate from the bottom up while applying enough material for a 4”–8” rundown below the spray contact point. Let the first application penetrate the substrate for at least 5–10 minutes. Re-apply the material; less material will be needed for the second application. When using a brush or roller, saturate the surface uniformly, allowing SS Repel Guard SB-20 to penetrate for 5–10 minutes. Brush out heavy runs and drips that show signs of no penetration. The second coat is recommended for maximum protection. Distributed by Cimarron Wholesale | 125 NE 40th Street |Oklahoma City, OK 73105 USA | Phone 866-906-2006 | Fax 405-526-2008 www.ssspecialtiesconcrete.com Page 2, RepelGuardSB20_TechData 04/17/15 PLEASE NOTE: It is always recommended to test the product in a small, inconspicuous area (on the same concrete substrate) for desired results prior to application. Coverage rates may vary for all coatings and substrates depending on porosity, density, texture etc. If applying by spray method, extended coverage rates may be achieved, but be aware that less material will be applied and inadequate film formation or performance expectations may be limited.
Use xylene or soap and warm water. Dispose of containers in accordance with local and federal regulations.
Coating deeply penetrates surface. Removal is not recommended.
SS Repel Guard SB-20 has a shelf life of one year in it’s original, sealed, unopened container.
• This product will not freeze during storage. However, allow temperature to rise to 50°F prior to application.
• All HVAC ventilation ducts should be blocked prior to application so fumes are not distributed.
• If using indoor, use proper ventilation while applying and for hours after application to ensure fumes are removed.
• SS Repel Guard SB-20 is highly flammable. Use extreme caution along with plenty ventilation.
• Keep away from open flames. Product is flammable and is very susceptible to ignition.
• It is not recommended to apply product over carpet, tile or other types of floor adhesives.
• This products performs best when applied as two medium–light coats, not one heavy coat.
• SS Repel Guard SB-20 was designed for a water repellent on porous surfaces. It is not intended as a decorative top coat.
• Please know that it may take up to 72 hours for this product to obtains its full water repellency properties.
• It is not recommended to thin product. Thinning causes sealer to delaminate in a short time frame.
• This product may darken the surface of a new and existing concrete slab. Test prior to use.
• Adhesion of cementations coatings, stucco, plaster, etc may be adversely affected.
• Approved respirator is required. See SDS for more information.
• This product will not keep water out of cracks, defects, or open joints.
• The statements made within this Technical Data Sheet, SDS, product labels, etc are guidelines only. The end user should always perform tests and product evaluations prior to application to ensure suitability for particular uses.